What is Fika?

What is Fika?

In Swedish tradition, Fika is a break - a pause - in your day to indulge in the simple pleasures of a good cup of coffee or tea, some sweets or pastries, and time shared with friends and loved ones.

Sunday 12 September 2010

Almond and Raspberry Tartelette


Williams-Sonoma is a dangerous store for me to walk into. The most idle mosey can quickly turn into a intense conscious weighing of the value-per-dollar benefit of a new offset spatula versus that of a jar of demi-glace.

Have you ever seen a more seductive label? How stylish! How elegant! How restrained!

Not today, despite all appearances. I have had my eye on these tartlette pans for a long time.

You don't see "Made in France" often enough in stores these days.

Tartelette pans are not just glorious, shiny things of beauty which appeal to my inner magpie. No - they are functional and ever-so empowering in the kitchen for multiple reasons. Their small size reduces the scale of overwhelming failure should a recipe go astray. Individual portions allow you to cater to a wide range of dietary preferences at the same time. Smaller things are intrinsically more aesthetically appealing because of their proportions to regular-sized things. "Oh, look at the little pie! It's so cute!"

Pies that fit in the palm of your hand - brilliant!

The final and primary reason why these tartelette pans are fantastic and why I bought them is that you can use up whatever remnant or scraps from a previous recipe. Leftover crust, sitting around? Pie for one or two, coming right up!

As easy as 1-2-3! Tart and tartelette crust edges are super simple. Using your thumb, press against the edge of the pan to cut off the excess dough. Done!

This week could be essentially called "Fun with Frangipane," to which I have no objections. I was also eager to try making my own version of the Almond and Raspberry Tartelettes that we made in the bakery in Ottawa. I think they're Italian in origin, but I'm not too sure.

Raspberry jam at the bottom like a delicious hidden treasure. These crusts were blind-baked before filling, although I don't think that it is as crucial when they are this small.


It really is quite simple enough: raspberry jam and frangipane. I used the same frangipane as in this recipe that I also posted earlier. Topped with some sliced almonds and baked to a rich gold, they're hard to resist!

Perfect individual portions.

No comments:

Post a Comment